I have 12 active credit cards. I’ll lay out my spending strategy and you guys tell me what I can do better
My cards: Citi Premiermiles, SBI Prime, Yes First Preferred, Amex MRCC and complimentary Smart Earn, IDFC First Select, One Metal card, Axis Free charge, HSBC Visa Platinum, ICICI Amazonpay, ICICI MMT, Indusind Legend. (I know I am missing HDFC)
· The first goal is to get 4 transactions of Rs 1500 every month (for MRCC). Two transactions can be done on for loading Paytm (via zomato). The rest I try to use wherever possible.
· After this the goal is to get to Rs 20000 for another bonus of 1000MR. The total savings are 4.5%.
· Load Rs 2500 in Paytm directly ( with charge of 2.65%). However, since paytm gives 5X points. I get back 3.8% back in value.
· I will also load Rs 2500 in Amazon which comes under 10X. It gives me 7.4% back in value.
· Also If there are any small expenses upto Rs 2500 in Flipkart, I again will get 10X points which can also be double dipped with the “Amex Reward Multiplier” which gives another 1X points.
· I carry this in my wallet as it gives a high default reward rate of 1.8% for my normal expenses.
· Earlier I used to carry my SBI Prime card which gave 2.5% savings for most offline spends, but am planning to close that card.
· Generally go with MMT for my travel bookings. I mostly find at least one credit card which has an ongoing offer. Using these coupons, I easily get 10-12% savings on flight bookings.
· I can even use my Citi Premiermiles and later pay with my points too. But only if I can double dip with an existing coupon code offer too.
IDFC First Select
· If I have some really large expenses, I do switch into my IDFC First select card as it gives 2.5% value for cumulative monthly spends above Rs 20000.
The other cards, I will use as and when they send enticing offers.